Self-Determination Network News: October 2021
Self-Determination Network News:
Connect | Share |Learn | http://sdnetworkwi.org/
Registration Closes Wednesday October 13th!
There's still time to register for this year's Self-Determination Conference. It will be held virtually October 18-20.You'll be able to learn from self-advocates who are living their best and most creative lives and get the latest information about how to self-direct your supports: inspiring employment, health solutions, housing options, financial opportunities, and so much more! See the Conference Brochure for details. Registration is FREE, but you have to register by this Wednesday. Register today!
After the conference, we'll have a discussion on the Network about it. Continue conversation and chat with others about what you learned during the conference. Watch for an email with instructions on how to join the discussion!
The Self-Determination Network includes some very talented members and we want to help you to get to know each other a little better. Member Spotlight is a great way for us to get to know each other better.
This month, we're shining the spotlight on Tyler. This Special Olympian and Paralympian has real determination, and he has a great support circle who help him. Stop by this month's Member Spotlight to get to know Tyler.
Who should we shine the spotlight on next?
Check out the Latest Videos!
The Self-Determination Channel is a YouTube channel by and for people with developmental or intellectual disabilities. Unlike other channels, the Self-Determination Channel stands stand out from other channels on YouTube because self-advocates host the videos, and decide and create the content. Videos are posted a couple times a month on a variety of topics self-advocates care about such as technology, employment, caregivers, independent living, and advocacy.
Check out the newest videos on the channel:
We encourage you to subscribe to the Channel (you can do so by clicking the red Subscribe button on any of the video pages).
Take five minutes to check out what's happening on the Self-Determination Network:
- Emergency Response Report: The US Government Accountability Office recently released a report about how the CMS response to COVID could help in future emergencies. Learn about what the suggestions are.
- Disability Activism: Often, people with disabilities don't have choice, but to advocate for what they need. Read about the whole notion of disability activism.
- Emerging Leader Award Nominations: The American Association of People with disabilities announced applications are available for the 2022 Paul G. Hearne Emerging Leader Award. Applications are due October 27. Find out more about this award and apply today!
- Feasibility of Wheelchairs on Aircrafts: The US Access Board recently studied the feasibility of wheelchair securement systems for passenger use in airplanes. Learn about what the study found.
- Call for Presenters: Proposals to present at the 2022 Circles of Life Conference are now being accepted. Proposals due October 20.
- Recommendations for Family Caregiver Support: The RAISE Family Caregiving Advisory Council recently gave their initial report to Congress. Read about what the recommendations are.
- Vaccine Mandates Cause Concern: President Biden mandated that nursing home workers get vaccinated or they risk losing funding. However, this doesn't apply to most home care workers. Find out why advocates aren't pushing for this.
- Staff Shortages Continue: The direct care worker has gone from a problem to a crisis. Read about what a recent study found.
- Booster Guidelines: Recently, the CDC approved booster vaccines for some people. Learn about who may qualify.
- New Vendor for Non-Emergency Medical Transportation: The Wisconsin Department of Health Services announced that beginning November 1, Medicaid members will be working with a new vendor for non-emergency medical transportation services. Read more about this change.
- The Future of Disability Advocacy and Politics: Recently, the Biden Administration has leveraged disability rights. This is a very interesting article about what this could mean for the future of advocacy and politics.
- The State of America's Direct Support Workforce: A new reveals just how much the pandemic has impacted the already depleted direct care workforce. Learn about what people think needs to happen.
Here's a sample of upcoming events listed on the Self-Determination Network:
- Webinar: Ask An ADA Professional- Hybrid Work, Face Coverings, And Vaccinations: October 13, 1p.m. to 2p.m., Online
- Webinar: Taking Care Of Yourself During COVID: October 13, 2p.m. to 3p.m., Online
- Self-Determination Conference: October 18-20, Online
- Webinar: Workers With Long COVID-19 And The ADA: October 19, 1p.m. to 2:30p.m., Online
- Baylor Conference 2021: October 28-29, 8a.m. to 4p.m., Online
- Webinar: Accessible Means Of Egress: November 4, 1:30p.m. to 3p.m., Online
Post your event on the Self-Determination Network and it can be included in future Network News emails to members! Questions? Suggestions? Contact Stacy Ellingen.
The Self-Determination Network is powered by InControl Wisconsin and supported financially by our members and Sponsors. We couldn't keep this Network going with you! Find out how you can help support the Network.