Self-Determination Network News: July 2019
Self-Determination Network News:
Connect | Share | Learn | http://sdnetworkwi.org/
Registration Now Open
The 2019 Self-Determination Conference will take place October 14th-16th at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells. The Conference empowers people with disabilities in Wisconsin to have more control over their lives. Technology is constantly evolving and so is the Self-Determination Conference. Join us as we learn ways to live healthier, happier and more productive lives. Register today!
Let's Talk about Self-Direction!
InControl Wisconsin Board member Lynn Breedlove has written a paper entitled, "Self-Direction Worldwide: Contrasting Beliefs and their Impact on Practice", which reviews the evolution of self-direction over the last 25 years, and the variety of self-direction definitions, values, and practices around the world. He will present the paper at an international Disability Congress in Scotland in August. We invite you to read the paper and join the discussion.
"Whether it’s getting a new car, a new outfit, new appliances, or whatever it may be, getting something new brings excitement to people most of the time. Sometimes, though, getting new things can bring on mixed emotions and can feel like a reality check."
In this month's entry, Stacy talks about how getting medical equipment isn't always fun and can be emotionally difficult for some people. Have you ever experienced this?We encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences as well.
Take five minutes to check out what's happening on the Self-Determination Network:
- New Technology: Technology continues to evolve. Learn about a new service that allows people to control the television with their eyes.
- ABLE Accounts Off to a Slow Start: Viability of the ABLE account program is in question as far fewer people have opened accounts than expected. Find out how many accounts need to be opened by 2021 in order to sustain the program.
- Comment Period for Nondiscrimination Rule: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has issued a proposed rule to revise regulations implementing and enforcing Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Section 1557 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in certain health programs or activities. People can submit comments on this until August 13th.
- Access to Fitness Equipment: Recently,a bill was introduced in the Senate to improve access to fitness facilities for people with disabilities. Read about what this bill would ensure.
- New Law Helps Deaf Community: In June, a bill was passed in Wisconsin that gives the Deaf community more assistance. Find out what this bill does.
- Supported Decision Making Grant: The Administration for Community Living seeks to support the planning of future state-based collaborative projects to make progress in strategies and facilitate decisional supports for all adults. The purpose of these planning grants is to develop action plans for advancing strategies that will ensure self-determination of older adults and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities through the use of a full range of decisional supports. The grant opportunity closes August 19th.
- Transition Grants for People with Disabilities from Minority Backgrounds: The National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research announced funding opportunities for new Disability and Rehabilitation Research Projects on Independent Living Transition Services for Youth and Young Adults with Significant Disabilities from Minority Backgrounds. Find out more about these grants.
- Disability Inclusion Award: The Department of Labor announced a new award program for federal contractors. Learn more about the award.
Here's a sample of upcoming events listed on the Self-Determination Network:
- Webinar: ADA Anniversary Update: 29 Years Burning Down The Road: July 16th, 1p.m. to 2:30p.m, Online
- ADA/Access Consumer Advocacy Team: July 17th, 9:30a.m. to 12p.m., FISERV Forum
- Disability Rights Radio Show: July 23rd, 7p.m. to 7:30p.m., Online
- Electronic Visit Verification Forum: July 24th, 10a.m. to 11:30a.m. (for consumers) and 1:30p.m. to 3:30p.m (for providers), Online or Madison WI
- AbilityMKE Now!: July 24th, 9p.m. to 10p.m., Online or Milwaukee WI
- Webinar: Understanding The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Program: July 25th, 11a.m. to 12p.m., Online
- Lynzay Legois Adaptive Water Skiing: July 26th, 12p.m. to 5:30p.m., Fischer County Park, Burlington WI
- Madison Disability Pride Festival!: July 27th, 12p.m. to 5p.m., Tenney Park Shelter, Madison WI
- Webinar: How To Create And Test Accessible PDFs: July 30th, 12p.m. to 1:30p.m., Online
- Transportation Consumer Advocacy Team (TCAT): July 30th, 1p.m. to 3p.m., IndependenceFirst, Milwaukee WI
- Adaptive Waterskiing: July 31st, 10a.m. to 3p.m., Lauderdale Landing, Elkhorn WI
- Smash Zone Social Hours: August 5th, 12p.m. to 3p.m., Milwaukee WI
- Long Term Care Advocacy Team: August 13th, 2:30p.m. to 3:30p.m., IndependenceFirst, Milwaukee WI
- Transition To Adulthood Town Hall: August 14th, 5p.m. to 7:30p.m., Warner Park Community Recreation Center, Madison WI
- Lynzay Legois Adaptive Water Skiing: August 16th, 12p.m. to 5:30p.m., Fischer County Park, Burlington WI
- The Organizer’s Forum: August 20th, 12p.m. to 1p.m., Online
- Adaptive Waterskiing: August 21st, 10a.m. to 3p.m., Lauderdale Landing, Elkhorn WI
- Adaptive Sportsmen Family Picnic & Shoot: August 24th, 10a.m. to 3p.m., Schultz's Gun Club, Muskego WI
- Transportation Consumer Advocacy Team (TCAT): August 27th, 1p.m. to 3p.m., IndependenceFirst, Milwaukee WI
Post your event on the Self-Determination Network and it can be included in future Network News emails to members! Questions? Suggestions? Contact Stacy Ellingen.
The Self-Determination Network is powered by InControl Wisconsin and supported financially by our members and Sponsors. We couldn't keep this Network going with you! Find out how you can help support the Network.