During a Hot Topics session at the Self-Determination Conference, InControl Wisconsin board members Lynn Breedlove, Patti Becker, and Kate Norby facilitated a great discussion about self-determination and self-direction. People were asked to write down questions about self-direction. We've compiled them and we encourage people to share their thoughts. We can all learn by sharing our thoughts and ideas with each other.
- How can I become a leader and not only be a follower?
- How can we support IRIS participants and families to create their own IRIS plans and not be overly influenced by ICs or anyone else?
- How can we ensure that self-determination is defined as something that allows participants to include family and friends in their decision-making?
- Can we reduce the “strings” (i.e. the hassle) that get attached to self-determination?
- How can I find reliable transportation?
- Does anyone have any ideas for how to find good caregivers?
- How can we reduce the barriers to employment?
- Does anyone have any good ideas for finding community jobs in rural areas?
- Is the state trying to make IRIS more like Family Care (FC), i.e. by imposing FC provider rates on IRIS? If so, how can we push back against this?