My discussion for today is things I have been up to

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
Lately I have been heavily active in my self advocacy group.1. September we did an Employment First Community Conversation.2. We just went to the Self Determination Conference in the Dells.3. There I presented on being an Alumni of Youth Leadership Forum and what my experience and take away was from this. I also was recognized for my Self Advocacy and got a DieHard award.Lately I have been thinking about experiences and opportunities I've had that have helped mold me in to the person I am today.
updated by @marie-massart: 02/23/16 03:06:03AM
Deb Wisniewski
Deb Wisniewski
@deb-wisniewski
9 years ago
0 posts

Congrats, Marie on your award! That is so cool!!!

So was it People First that held the Employment First Community Conversation? How did that go?

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
Thank you Deb!
Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
9 years ago
34 posts

Congrats! That's awesome!

Do you have a favorite advocacy group? I would love to become more involved, but transportation/cares are issues for me. How do you get to these events?

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
I'm apart of a advocacy group a chapter of People First. There wasn't a chapter by me so with the help of Deb and many others we got together and talked about ways to be active in our community. People First was one way that was brought up I did my research on this then it was decide that we would contact Cindy to start. She and Barry came to Door County an spoke to us what we needed that was back in August of 2011. From there we voted on officers, Representatives, what we wanted to accomplish and more. Since we have accomplished many things we can be proud of. As to how we get transportation that's on us and if care is needed we usually get family and friends involved if our advisor can't transport and if need be a near by group is always welling to help get us anywhere we need to go with them. Thank you for the congrats! If. You need more information please don't hesitate to contact me about more of this.
Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
9 years ago
34 posts

That's very cool, Marie! Thanks for sharing!

I've heard of People First before, but i'm not really sure what it is. What does the group do?

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
You are welcome.People First is a grassroots state wide organization that has 15 representatives for the state. We strive on the focus and force of advocacy groups that tell townsmen and legislative electives. What we struggle with in life and work together to help make and find a fix. We get together and talk about state wide issues and local. And we have quarterly meetings state wide and monthly meetings typically at home. We have fun in the process to. Disability Advocacy Day is a big part in what we do. And we get together for Self Determination Conference have meetings and have time together to learn and have a great time with old and new friends. Our top three subjects are always: Long term Care, Transportation, and Employment. We advocate for all issues near and far but theses three topics where voted on to be the most near and dear to us. I hope this answers your follow up question. And again if you think of more please feel free to contact me.
Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
9 years ago
34 posts

That's so cool, Marie! You may want to consider writing a blog (in the News section) about People First and explain how people can get involved. I'd be happy to help you if you'd like.

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
Thanks that's a wonderful idea
Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
To answer your question People First of Door Co. Got a Employment First grant and decided to have a community conversation with the businesses etc to have a descion on barriers and why people that are disabled can be benifishal to their business as an employee.
Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
9 years ago
34 posts

Please let me know if you have any questions about posting. :)

Marie Massart
Marie Massart
@marie-massart
9 years ago
18 posts
I well Stacy thank you :)
Dislike 0