2019 Self-Determination Conference

SD Network
SD Network
@sd-network
5 years ago
35 posts

We were so excited to see so many of you at this year’s Self-Determination Conference. There were a ton of great sessions and events again this year. What was your favorite part? What were some things that you learned? What resources did you find particularly helpful?  Do you have a fun story from the conference? Did something really inspire you?

Let's keep the conversation going! Share your comments, questions, and ideas here!

Lynn Breedlove
Lynn Breedlove
@lynn-breedlove
5 years ago
2 posts
The Hot Topics session on Self-determination was great! There was a very lively discussion of some Hot Topics that are the subject of debate in several countries including the U.S.: what the term "self-determination " means, how community inclusion relates to self-determination, and whether the word "self" means that people have to self-direct their services on their own. The sophistication of the group discussion showed the result of people in WI thinking about these issues for several years.
dellingen
@dellingen
5 years ago
3 posts
The 2019 Self Determination Conference was awesome once again. I loved all the technological ideas from members on how to make it easier to live independently. Low tech and high tech ideas and strategies were offered, with many more to come hopefully on the new YouTube Channel. A couple of my favorites were The Hot Topics Session on Self Determination, which was highly interactive. One new attendee said he it built his confidence in being able to do things on his own. The movie that they showed was awesome also: Intelligent Thinking showed how IQ tests came about and influenced lives of so many with disabilities. Finally, I think that seeing how successful so many with disabilities have become as active working citizens and the networking that happens were all my favorite parts. Thanks to In Control and BPDD for hosting and supporting this conference.

Tags

Dislike 0