Feature Discussion: What’s the best way to find your own personal care staff?

Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
8 years ago
34 posts

What’s the best way to find your own personal care staff?

Due to IRIS no longer allowing agencies to do Self-Directed Personal Care, I had to switch care agencies back in October.  Long story short, things didn’t work out.  I recently switched back to Self-Directed Personal Care (SDPC) through IRIS and am hiring my own staff.   It’s a lot of work, but many of my friends have found it very successful.

I’m wondering what criteria people use when hiring their own staff.  Do you create specific guidelines?  Where’s the best place to post ads?  What do people use as a backup plan?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Wanda Viellieux
Wanda Viellieux
@wanda-viellieux
8 years ago
22 posts

I had previously used agencies but have been very unhappy with them.  So I hired a gal who did this on her own not through an agency.  However, she did not live up to the contract.  She did a great job when she was here but I never knew when she would come and not.  So I finally had to tell her goodbye.  I needed someone more reliable.  But, I put an ad on a facebook "hiring" in my own county and she responded right away and so did three others, but the three others were not really interested. So I had no choice to go back to an agency, I just hired, however, we have not been getting off to a good start.  I should have had 12 hours logged right now for them and have only received two hours worth of service.  Living in a more rural part of the state, there are not a lot of options, and it's difficult to find individuals to commit to the tasks  as they want more hours and I cannot give them more hours than I already have.

As far as guidelines, I set up an interview with this individual in a public place in a private corner.  The second time she came over to my home to see what she would be doing with me.  She fully agreed to what we talked about but like I said she did not live up to her commitment.

All agencies in my county are having the same problem of keeping workers. They do not pay a lot, and most young gals have not learned how to work growing up. 

Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
8 years ago
34 posts

That's interesting, Wanda.  Did you hire the girl through IRIS SDPC?  I posted an ad on Facebook as well.  I  also posted on  the local colleges job  sites and indeed.com.   I was amazed how many responses i received.   My issue now is that IRIS is taking so long to process the paperwork..   I already lost  three potential workers due  to the process taking so long.  It's very frustrating!  

Wanda Viellieux
Wanda Viellieux
@wanda-viellieux
8 years ago
22 posts

I use workers for supportive home care but not personal care. Yes, we ran into the same thing that IRIS (ILIFE) is taking so long to process paperwork.

Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
8 years ago
34 posts

Totally agree!  And, now, nobody will be approved until after  the 10th because the background check system is being updated..

Wanda Viellieux
Wanda Viellieux
@wanda-viellieux
8 years ago
22 posts

thanks for that info

Wanda Viellieux
Wanda Viellieux
@wanda-viellieux
7 years ago
22 posts

An Update, I learned about a newer agency in my part of the country of Wisconsin, and have hired them, and they do not do personal cares, however, I have been so happy with them.  They worked to find a match that I would like, and that likes me also.  Their workers like to work with the same clients and stay for a long time.  This would work for others in my area who do not specifically need personal cares but rather supportive home cares.

Stacy Ellingen
Stacy Ellingen
@stacy-ellingen
7 years ago
34 posts

That's interesting!  I primarily need personal care and IRIS  doesn't allow us to hire third-party vendors for that.   I've been hiring my own staff for about eight months now.  Just within the last few weeks, I'm finally to the point where I feel like i have a solid group of staff--at least for awhile!  It has definitely been a learning experience though!

Wanda Viellieux
Wanda Viellieux
@wanda-viellieux
6 years ago
22 posts

As it stands today, I still don't have PC without giving up something that is working for me today

Tags

Dislike 0